This is the perfect tray bake for someones birthday who likes a fruity taste. Yes the design is pretty basic but the taste and flavour is mouthwatering. I must admit I do like lemon cake but found the icing was a bit strong for me. Next time I shall not make the icing with lemon juice, but make it the original way with water. Although I wasn’t a fan, it went down a treat with a lot of other people and within a few days, it was all gone. This should make around 18-24 slices, depending on the size tin your using. It does’t necessarily have to be lemon flavour, you can change it to however you want, whether that is plain or chocolate etc. I’d say this is the perfect tea and cake, cake or like I said at the start, a very easy birthday cake.
You Will Need:
– 225g butter
– 225g caster sugar
– 4 eggs
– 225g self raising flour
– grated zest from 2 lemons
– 7tbsp lemon juice
– 225g lemon juice
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4. Beat together the butter and eggs into a large mixing bowel until light and fluffy.
2) Add the eggs in 1 at a time, beating well.
3) Add the flour.and mix.
4) Add the zest and lemon juice to the mixture and mix well. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes.
5) Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
6) Make the icing sugar by adding lemon juice a little at a time, until smooth. Spread over the top of the cake.
5) Decorate the cake and leave to set.
6) Cut into slices and enjoy!